Elephant Thoughts Tanzania, registered as an NGO in August 2010, was founded by educational professionals and other stakeholders who desire quality education for the children of Tanzania. Our country is endowed with significant natural resources like forests, minerals, woodlands, wild animals, rivers, lakes and wetlands. For a long time however, the Tanzanian economy has suffered several shocks with severe destabilizing effects. The education sector has been severely affected, leading to a lack of teaching materials, textbooks, desks and chairs, shortages of classrooms, toilets, and teachers’ houses, and huge numbers of students in the classes. Hence poor performance is inevitable.
By realizing that education is the pillar of national development, for it is through education that the nation obtains skilled manpower to serve in various sectors of the nation’s economy, Elephant Thoughts Tanzania intends to provide effective teaching and learning situations so that an excellent education can be provided to all people regardless of economic hardship.
Elephant Thoughts Tanzania, through cooperation with Elephant Thoughts in Canada and other donors from within the country and abroad, intends to build bridges between schools and their surrounding communities through their School Sustainability Project.
- To sponsor less fortunate children to attend proper educational facilities and support them throughout their educational career with proper health and domestic care when necessary.
- To provide resources to schools to help create higher standards of education for the students while at the same time as creating healthier, more balanced learning environments.
- To sponsor the training of more educational professionals.
- To provide professional development to teachers and educators in the area.
- To build bridges between schools and communities that promotes a sustainable education system.
- To build schools for less fortunate children.
- To increase the levels of environmental education being taught in schools.
- To initiate projects which benefit individuals, communities, and the environment.
- To facilitate educational programs and the creation of facilities that combat leading contributors to suffering such as HIV education, job skills training, and innovative agricultural techniques.
- To improve the quality of a student’s educational experience with a holistic approach including proper hygiene, nutrition, special care.
- To promote and encourage Western tourists into the area with a vision towards increased volunteerism and resource sharing.
- To create extra –curricular programs to enhance students learning.
If you would like to find out more please contact our Elephant Thoughts Tanzania team or Tara Bailey, International Projects Manager at tara [Email address: tara #AT# elephantthoughts.com - replace #AT# with @ ].