The School Sustainability Project
Together with Elephant Thoughts Tanzania we will work with schools from the Igoma area to increase the abilities of all schools to achieve their basic needs and meet educational excellence.
The ultimate path to success follows the projects ability to mobilize the community to take a greater part in the success and well-being of the schools as well as to design creative projects the schools can use to create an income for themselves or at least offset their operating costs.
The last year in Igoma has been successful. We’ve brought a new school into the program.
Our most recent trip to Tanzania, November 2011, was a productive one, allowing us to see firsthand the number of successes our partner schools are having. Project 2 has been a success. Community members, students, and parents are happy with the progress to date.
The community did an excellent job of raising funds for this initiative and books were purchased for every school. Lack of textbooks is a major issue for these schools making this project an ongoing effort.
These projects are based on the needs identified at each school.
The schools expect to reach their 25% targets by the end of February, middle of March. At this time Elephant Thoughts Canada will contribute the remaining 75%.
Three schools, Shamaliwa, Mandela, and Nyerere, have received a fresh coat of paint. Garbage bins have been installed, and students have planted gardens and are responsible for their upkeep.
Shamaliwa Primary School
Mandela Primary School
Nyerere Primary School
Interested in joining our project team?
Elephant Thoughts currently offers 2 types of internships – one for teachers and one for everyone else interested in supporting the School Sustainability Project. To read more about internship opportunities, please visit our internship page.